All parents receive a New Parent Guide once they have committed to sending their child to Gateway School. This contains detailed and useful information about the school, such as information on the Induction Day the term before they start, and information on the Q&A New Parents Meeting on the day before the new school year starts.
First day of term: some tips for parents sending their children to a new school
- Encourage questions
- Review the difference between strangers and trusted adults like teachers and parents
- Get the right school uniform – uniform is a source of pride and children urgently want to fit in not stand out
- Check what stationery they need – nothing beats a new pencil case!
- Get into the school routine a few days before term starts i.e. earlier to bed, earlier to rise
- Make a list together of what should be in your child’s school bag each morning
- Prepare a special breakfast the first morning and allow time to enjoy it without rushing
- Remind your child of after-school plans
- After school, have a special snack ready for your child when they get home
- Plan a special ‘First School Day’ family dinner to celebrate