All children from Year 3 upwards are encouraged to play an active role in the running of Gateway School. To this purpose, we run a School Council made up of pupil and staff representatives whose stated aims are:
- To promote a sense of unity by working together for the common good
- To give children a sense of ownership of their school and its environment
- To promote effective communication within the school community – pupils, staff and parents
- To encourage pupils to consider issues which affect them and/or others
- To provide enriching responsibilities for pupils
The School Council provides a forum where both staff and pupils can raise and address important issues, with agreed actions communicated to the school by pupil representatives via the School Council notice board and to parents via the school newsletter.